All dissertations and postdoctoral theses produced at the TU Dortmund must be submitted to the Department for Information Literacy and Publication Support in the Central Library, room 124, first floor. To comply with the legal deposit and publication regulations, you have to hand in deposit copies of your doctoral thesis after the oral examination. If the department is not manned, you may also hand in your thesis at the Service Centre during business hours. Your documents will then be forwarded for processing. You can of course make an appointment with the competent department for the deposit of your thesis. Please contact 0231 755 4054. If you want to send your thesis by mail please contact us in advance.
Publication regulations and legal deposit regulations are set down in the Doctoral Degree Regulations (Promotionsordnungen) of the faculties. The number of deposit copies stipulated in the Promotionsordnungen varies depending on the publication form. The doctoral degree regulations are available at the Dean's Office (Dekanat) of your faculty or online on our Eldorado document repository.
After you have submitted your deposit copies, we will send a receipt to the Dean's Office (Dekanat) / Doctoral Examination Board (Promotionsausschuss). On receipt of our confirmation, the faculty will issue your doctoral diploma.
One copy of your thesis will be shelved under 'DissDo' at the Central Library. We also send two deposit copies to the German National Library (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek) in Leipzig unless the publisher has already submitted the dissertation or this is unnecessary in case of an electronic publication. (in accordance with the Statutes of the German National Library and its Legal Deposit Directive). Other copies will be used for book exchanges with other university libraries.
If your thesis is published with a publishing company, you have to provide written confirmation by your publisher confirming the required minimum edition size of 150 copies.
All Doctoral Degree Regulations (Promotionsordnungen) of TU Dortmund allow for an electronic publication of doctoral theses.
What we need for the electronic publication of your thesis:
- the required number of print copies specified in the Doctoral Degree Regulations (Promotionsordnung), usually three copies, no comb binding, please!
- a storage medium (no USB stick, please!) containing your thesis in PDF/A format. The pagination of your PDF file must be identical to the print version so as to ensure citability. You can also send the electronic version as an attachment to the address email@example.com or use our data exchange service.
- a short abstract (electronic version in Word or text editor format)
- a signed deposit form.
What happens after you have deposited your thesis:
- After you have handed in all of the above, we will send a receipt to the Dean's Office (Dekanat) / Doctoral Examination Board (Promotionsausschuss). On receipt of our confirmation, the faculty will issue your doctoral diploma.
- After we have uploaded your doctoral thesis to Eldorado, a persistent identifier (handle) will be allocated, a citable URL which ensures the long-term accessibility of the document. You will receive an email with the URL of your thesis. A DOI is generated between 6am and 11pm, which you can also use to cite your thesis.
- Your thesis will be listed in our library catalogue and we will register it with the German National Library. Electronic theses are listed in the German National Bibliography Series H. Your thesis is thus retrievable online and accessible in full text through the German National Library online catalogue.
If you have any questions about publishing your thesis, consult our Department for Information Literacy and Publication Support, who will be happy to help you.